Old November 11th 18, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Chain wear and cassette question

On 2018-11-10 19:26, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Maybe think about changing the crankset to smaller chainrings
instead?

That is the other option, getting a compact for a square-taper BB.
Requires a new derailer as well but for the front. However, I'd like to
keep the old 52T and 42T combo. When riding on the 30mi long bike path
between Sacramento and Folsom on a busier day that is just the right
combination for a quick downshift, to accelerate hard and pass another
cyclist, then shift back to the 52T ring.

You're doing a LOT of fussing at the rear derailleur to get one gear that's
maybe 25% lower. I think it's far easier mechanically to add a third "granny"
sprocket at the front. You can get even lower gears, and probably several of
them.

Triple cranks are easily available and many are not expensive. But if you're
committed to dinking around to save pennies, you can probably make or buy a
triple adapter to use with your existing double crank.

It was about 1982 that I installed my first triple crank on my 1972 Raleigh.
(At the time it was my only bike, used for commuting, time trialing, club rides
and touring. Now it's just my utility bike.) Anyway, I was on a ride with a
friend and he asked to try it on a steep hill. His remark: "Wow. It doesn't
matter if a hill is there or not!"

I didn't need to change my front derailleur. And I still had all my "normal"
gears.

- Frank Krygowski