Old November 12th 18, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Chain wear and cassette question

On 11/11/2018 4:05 PM, jbeattie wrote:
My point is that low gears and fat tires make for a more versatile bike -- and those are two things you can't get on your current bike. You'll never be able to use a 30mm tire,

I wonder if that's really true. That 1972 Raleigh I still use for some
rides has 32mm (AKA 1 1/4") tires on it right now, with no problems.

and you're looking at a lot of kludges to get the low gear you want.

The low gear on my Raleigh is 25 gear inches, on an antique system of
"half step plus granny" chainrings. 31 tooth "granny" sprocket, 34 tooth
rear. Since the crankset is a TA copy, I could probably put on a 26
tooth front cog if I wanted.

--
- Frank Krygowski