Old November 12th 18, 02:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default Chain wear and cassette question

On 2018-11-11 13:05, jbeattie wrote:
On Sunday, November 11, 2018 at 8:09:53 AM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:

Oh I would but then my wife would make me chuck the trusty old road
bike I had since 1982 and I can't bring myself to do that. Yet.

God knows why.

Maybe a bit of nostalgia but most of all I do not like to ditch
stuff that is still perfectly working. Just like a former colleague
who used a 1954 Chevy pickup truck as his daily driver. On days when
he didn't have anything to pick up from Home Depot he often used
their early 50's Chevy Bel Air. Both surprisingly low maintenance.

I've got to think a 1950s Chevy needs a LOT of maintenance compared
with a modern car.

I've kept the maintenance log notebooks from almost every vehicle I
owned. The ones I had in the 1970s seemed pretty good to me at the
time. But when I resurrected their notebooks out of curiosity
(Kawasaki motorcycle, Corvair Corsa, Honda Civic) I was astonished at
how often I was fixing things.

Not to mention the expected routine maintenance: Points, plugs, check
ignition timing and dwell, valve lash, lubricate dozens of thirsty
little zerk fittings ...