Old November 14th 18, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Chain wear and cassette question

On 2018-11-11, Joerg wrote:

However, getting into the Highway 50 corridor on the way back I started
coughing badly because of the Camp Fire smoke. Today it got so bad that
I couldn't ride at all and same tomorrow. On the news they said that a
couple hours of exercise would be the equivalent of smoking half a pack
of cigarettes. Probably worse because the smoke contains fumes for over
6000 burnt residence, whatever was in them. Very weird smell.

On Sunday I rode pretty hard for an hour with a disposable N95 mask.
I was surprised how well the mask worked overall, both in letting me
breathe, even when climbing, and in filtering. When I adjusted it or
raised it to spit, all of a sudden my attention was drawn back to how
smoky the air smelled.

https://www.moldex.com/product/2700/
The exhale vent proves vital once the respiration rate increases.

Thanks, it's entered into the wish list in my bike wiki file.

I was thinking about getting a N95 or P100 mask but the next Home Depot
is a few hills and slightly over an hour riding from here, with the
valley sections smoke-filled. So I didn't go.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/