Old November 24th 18, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Noise from new Sunrace cassette

On 2018-11-23 14:35, wrote:
On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 2:11:49 PM UTC-8, Earls61 wrote:
Do you have horizontal dropouts?

Almost, they are angled slots. With vernier peg screws for precise axle
positioning.

... Maybe try positioning the axle differently. ...

I had tried that a lot, made no difference at all.

... Some other suggestions: Verify correct chain length,
verify top der pulley does not rub on bottom of cassette, check B
screw adjustment, verify der hangar is aligned with hangar
alignment tool. Good luck!!

I needed all the 116 links the chain came with. The top pulley is the
usual 1/4" or 5mm from the 40T cog as is customary and set by the B
screw. That position didn't make a difference either, I've tried varying
that from 1/2" to almost hitting the cog.

Earl, I forgot the idler pulley problems. Joerg has a 40 tooth
humongous low gear and you're probably correct that his derailleur
probably doesn't have enough take-up to shift into low gear and not
push the top idler pulley into the cogs.

The derailer got an extender adapter in order not to have to adjust the
B screw to an extreme position. It fits nicely now. Looks a bit weird
for a road bike to have the bottom idler be just inches off the pavement
but, getting older, man's got to do what man's got to do (John Wayne). I
just don't want to mash up these hills anymore and be able to spin some
more on those sections. Now I can.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/