Old November 27th 18, 06:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Power Meter

On Monday, November 26, 2018 at 5:48:04 PM UTC-8, Claus Aßmann wrote:
Are you a Pro who can climb 12% at 15 mph?

Which professional cyclist can climb 12% at 24 km/h?
Do you mean for 1 minute?

That seems to require about 10 W/kg
Or maybe this calculator is wrong: BikePower-0.33:
grade of hill = 12.0% headwind = 0.0 kph
rolling friction coeff = 0.0047 BM rate = 1.40 W/kg
air resistance coeff = (0.2670, 0)
efficiency: transmission = 98.0% human = 24.9%

What's the required W/kg based on your calculations
(and which input data do you use)?

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous

I don't think you understood what I was saying - your position climbing on a bike is pretty much irrelevant to the aerodynamic drag because that is a logarithmic growth curve. Until you get over 13 mph or so the rolling resistance is the major drag on a drop bar road bike.

If you don't like the design of these devices by all means do not buy them. But also do not argue with me that inconsequential details make them unusable if you don't mind.