Old July 9th 05, 11:33 PM
J Jones

Default Noisy Seat/Post

"Gary Mishler" wrote in message
news:x4Yze.151498$xm3.81822@attbi_s21...

"J Jones" wrote in message
.. .
My seat post (or seat) sounds like popcorn - creaking and crackling.
It's
unbelievable how much noise it's making - it started out of the blue last
week,
and has gotten worse every ride this past week. Any help anyone can
provide on diagnosing/fixing the problem will be greatly appreciated.

I suppose if its the seat, I'll need a new seat?
Jeff

Usually it is not damage. Inspect for damage and if you don't find any,
disassemble (mark the position of seat, post, and rails first for easy
reinstall), clean all surfaces and apply a light coating of grease on all
contact points when you reassemble.

This usually works.

I did this, and it seems to have worked perfectly. There was a lot of road
dirt/grime in/around the bolt that tightens the seat post in place. I
didn't do anything with the seat or rails, as I was able to recreate the
noise by putting pressure on/off the seat, and found the noise to be further
down in/around the tube.

Thanks to all for your suggestions - feels great to fix my own stuff!! ;-)
Jeff

Good luck,
Mish