Old September 14th 09, 10:12 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default "SES leader dies in mountain bike event"

Beginning to see a pattern here? Mountain bikers say their sport is a
safe, fun, environmentally benign activity for the whole family. If
mountain biking is such a good thing, I wonder why mountain bikers
need to lie about it?

Mike

http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-n...0914-fnba.html

SES leader dies in mountain bike event

September 14, 2009 - 4:59PM

NSW State Emergency Service (SES) Commissioner Murray Kear says he's
devastated by the sudden death of Deputy Commissioner Greg Slater.

Mr Slater, 46, of Mount Keira, died of an apparent heart attack while
taking part in a mountain biking endurance event with his son in the
Mogo State Forest on the NSW south coast on Sunday.

Mr Kear said Mr Slater was a "much loved" and highly-decorated officer
who had served with the SES for 11 years.

The SES telephones were ringing "hot with condolences" from around the
country and from overseas over the loss of Mr Slater.

"Today we're like a small family, feeling it very hard, all around the
state," he said.

Mr Slater's death had come as a shock because he had been a healthy,
fit man, Mr Kear said.

Endurance sports were his hobby and he had previously competed in the
Australian ironman triathlon championships four times.

"Greg was the epitome of a healthy person ... anything that had
physical exercise attached to it, Greg would be in it, so it's just a
shock," he said.

Mr Kear said Mr Slater's wife Jenny, also a NSW SES employee, his
daughter Madaline and his son Alex, who was cycling in the event with
his father when he died, were devastated.

"(They are) trying to come to terms with the loss of a husband and a
father," he said.

Mr Slater joined the Australian Federal Police (AFP) in 1981 and
served in Cyprus and East Timor, as well as with the Rescue Squad.

NSW Minister for Emergency Services Steve Whan said Mr Slater had been
instrumental in the development of the SES since his appointment as
deputy commissioner in 2004.

He had been recognised for his dedication, commitment and bravery,
having been awarded an AFP Commendation for Brave Conduct and a United
Nations Fire Commander's Commendation for Brave Conduct.

"Mr Slater's leadership and dedication to the community of New South
Wales and to his country will be sorely missed," Mr Whan said in a
statement.

"On behalf of the New South Wales government, I extend my sympathies
to Mr Slater's family and colleagues."

Mr Kear said the NSW SES was discussing memorial arrangements with Mr
Slater's family.

A post-mortem examination is being conducted to determine the cause of
his death and police will prepare a report for the coroner.