Old January 31st 12, 04:19 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default What’s the lure of mountain or off-road riding?

On Jan 30, 10:33*am, Trevor wrote:
On 1/27/2012 2:56 PM, Mike Vandeman wrote:

That's what I thought. You are confusing quantity with quality.
Mountain bikers do travel much farther than hikers, and therefore do a
lot more damage and impact a lot more wildlife.

I guess the quantity vs. quality equation is a matter of preference.

However, both hikers and bikers can cause environmental damage, or can
be careful to minimize it. (Actually the worst damage I have seen on the
trail where I ride the most is caused by horses and motorized vehicles.)

- Trevor

Horses don't cause "damage". They are wildlife, like deer.