Old May 19th 17, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default MTB low pressure and pinch flats

On 2017-05-14 20:19, James wrote:
http://www.mtbiking.com.au/news/banger-anti-flat-system

Looks like the black foam lagging a plumber might use when installing
hot water pipes.

I have tried a lot of stuff and IMO the only method to avoid flats on
the MTB is a sturdy tire, tire liner with a old tube slid over it plus a
tube with 0.160" or 4mm wall thickness, and running at nearly max
allowed pressure (I run them 50psi). All of that. No flats in years and
I ride hard. I had the occasional hard blow-out but that's got nothing
to do with punctures. That is when a tire fails in a more spectacular
way with pieces of it flying off. Happens maybe once a year so not bad,
and usually after I hit something the wrong way.

With that setup I can bomb down rocky sections like I did yesterday and
not worry about becoming stranded with an unfixable gash in the tire.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/