Old August 8th 04, 05:33 AM
RonSonic

Default Another doctor questions helmet research

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 17:38:13 GMT, "Doug Purdy" wrote:

"Luigi de Guzman" wrote in message
.. .
My father won't ride his bicycle in the street because he's scared--no
matter how persuasive I am with the statistical arguments for accident
rates, visibility, etcetera.

I should make a full disclosure of my hypocrisy: I wear a helmet for
protection not entirely related to impact: it's big and white, and
fairly bright in most lighting conditions. I'd like to think it makes
me a bit more visible. And should anything bad happen to me, I'll
never get the miscreant to pay out unless I have one on, since
otherwise I'd be vulnerable to charges of contributory negligence.
All the rational argumentation in the world is for naught when you're
in front of ignorant people who are (even temporarily) empowered to
deny you justice.

Seeing as how people in general are just as convinced that riding a bicycle
on the street is suicide, do we have to worry about "contributory
negligence" because we were riding a bike?

Depends on how good the other guys lawyer is.

"There he was balanced on two wheels, just asking for it."

"Have you ever fallen without being hit by my client?" Wait for answer.... "Well
there ya go."

"My client's dog could not have bitten him - he is toothless and was tied up in
the backyard. Furthermore, my client does not own a dog."

Ron