Old September 25th 12, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Cimperman

Default How does I fix these cranks?

On 9/24/2012 9:54 PM, James wrote:
On 25/09/12 12:25, Doug Cimperman wrote:
On 9/24/2012 6:03 PM, James wrote:
On 25/09/12 08:41, Doug Cimperman wrote:
Today I see the drive-side crank here is loose on the spindle. The
non-drive side moves a much smaller bit, that appears to be the bearing
play (it could probably use new bearings anyway).

I never much got into bicycle mechanics really, so what [special] tools
would I need to get this thing apart, and what kind of crank is it
exactly? (to get a replacement, if it can't just be tightened up,,,) \

The spindle is a tube that runs almost all the way through from the
drive side, to the non-drive side....

http://www.norcom2000.com/users/dcim...s/loose01.html

Looks similar to this?

http://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/truvativ-gxp-bb

A quick google search yields..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB1wcwlmsRc

I have an arbor press and torque wrenches.

Is it possible to install a square-taper BB into the frame? I'm not
finding much available in the road 130/74 category that doesn't cost
huge sums of money.

This is the only drop-in I have found so far-
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...0#ReviewHeader

(FSA Gossamer MegaExo Triple Crankset)

The other two are square-taper, one is 118 and one is 122mm.

Whoa! I thought you wanted to fix what you have? Before trying to find
replacements, I'd be looking to find out what's wrong with what you've
got. It's quite possibly just a pair of bearings away from good as new.

I can already see that it's not (only) the bearings.
The left crank (that bolts on) is still solid on the spindle. The right
crank is loose on the spindle--and it is the one that's glued on, and
not ever supposed to come loose.

Somebody on bikeforums says it's sometimes possible to re-glue them, but
I don't even care to try.

Also I see many reports of BB30's being noisy......... and mine was
another one of them.

If this would fit in-
http://harriscyclery.net/product/shi...acket-1203.htm
then there's a few cheaper crank choices available.