Old January 8th 04, 08:01 PM
DiabloScott

Default experiences with bicycle trailers for kids?

Andrea wrote:
Hi all,
I am planning on buying a trailer for my husband and myself to
take my kids to school, and also for lovely summer rides. I also
want to get fit!
Could you please share your experience of them?
Many thanks in advance,
--
Andrea.

I've had two used ones - a Nashbar version and an old Burley. They'r
fun to use, and I like the looks I get from people as I grind up stee
hills pulling my daughter

Here are a couple issues
1. - The mounting to the bike. One of my trailers clamped the chain sta
and I didn't like that it might squish the tube and scratch the pain
but I only used it on my old MTB so I wasn't that concerned, but i
you're going to attach it to a good bike you might be concerned. Th
Burley attached with a wedge between the seat stay and chain stay an
that seems to be a little better idea. Also check to see if your hee
hits the attachment hardware when you pedal
2. - The child harness. Both of my trailers had crappy harnesses, har
to use and not as secure as I'd like. Practice getting your kid (wit
helmet on) in and out of the trailer and compare the differen
harnesses for safety and ease of use before you make a decision

In general the newer and more expensive ones will have better attachmen
hardware, better harnesses, better wheels, and will collapse fo
transport in your car. Bring your trike to the bike store to have th
sales staff look at how it might attach. Don't buy a trailer fro
anyplace that doesn't have a conscientious person explain how to use i
and help you mount it to your bike the first time

-