Old July 23rd 07, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

Default newbie question

in message , JC
') wrote:

After one of the riders got his drink bottle out, I heard a commentator
say 'oh no you can't drink that now, your not allowed!!'
I can't recall when,.. may have been with less than 15-20 km to go

You can drink it if you've got it, but you can't take on more drink in the
run-in to the finish.

What exactly is behind the reasoning they can't drink so close to the
finish?

I think it's that domestiques going to and from the team cars cause
turbulence in the peloton which can get dangerous as the race gets more
nervous towards the finish.

;; This email may contain confidential or otherwise privileged
;; information, though, quite frankly, if you're not the intended
;; recipient and you've got nothing better to do than read other
;; folks' emails then I'm glad to have brightened up your sad little
;; life a tiny bit.