Old July 30th 11, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides
Dan

Default OT - Pillion Position

"T°m Sherm@n" " writes:

On 7/30/2011 12:28 AM, Dan wrote:

Some flattrack bikes used to be configured with a solo saddle behind
the tank for cornering, and a *little* pad (pillion?)on the rear fender
to set your butt on when tucking down on the straightaway.

As for girlfriends on the back, the main thing is that they hang on in
case of unexpected wheelie.

Like this?
http://www.flamingo-motortours.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Honda-Goldwing-wheelie.jpg

Cool pic, but I was thinking of something completely different.

In about 1979 or so, Yamaha produced the model "Eleven" road bike. I thought
it was so named for the ~1100 cc engine, but some people said it was so named
because it would do a standing start quarter mile in 11 seconds off the
showroom floor.

I rode one a few times (worked in the Yamaha shop at the time), but the most
memorable ride was on the back (without any of that backrest stuff). I was
not the rider's girlfriend, so kind of trying to be cool and not hang onto
him. Pulling away from a stop sign, the front wheel came up, and my legs
started to go up as my body started pivoting off the back. Somehow I stayed
on, though. (Never cared much for being passenger on a bike.)