View Single Post
Old March 20th 19, 04:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default New Bontager Helmet Material

I had heard that Trek was going to have a new material for their bike frames. Well, in fact it is a new material for helmets. Styrofoam worked for preventing skull fractures but that is not a source of cycling injuries on the whole - concussions are.

The new material will NOT offer the ultimate safety as the Styrofoam did but it is WAY softer in the manner of crushing and will eliminate most of the concussions. While this won't meet the helmet standards I have no doubt that they will make a new standard for this material since it will probably save 70% or more of the NORMAL injuries from bicycle accidents.

It will be several years before statistics are available to compare these helmets to the injury rate but I have great hope for them.

They will come in two types - the normal road helmet and that anti-twist system that almost doubles the price of a helmet and for which I do not see much in the way of improvement if the crush of the helmet material is so much softer.

Interesting is that I suspect that they will use this material for the mold around which to form a carbon fiber frame. It will not add any more weight than the inflatable molds they presently use and it is likely that with a more solid mold that voids and gaps will be reduced or even eliminated.
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home