Old August 5th 04, 09:01 AM
flyingdutch

Default Back Pain On Road Bike

DaveB Wrote:
Billy wrote:
But I find it very uncomfortable, and I get a sore back, where on the
mountain bike I did not get any back pain.

Is this normal, and will I get used to it ?

I had similar probs when I started on the road bike (secondhand), back
was so sore I couldn't walk for 3 days. The two things I found were
that
it did take time to get used to the new riding position, but more
importantly, regardless of whether the frame is the right size, the
setup is vital. There's a few things that I changed such as seat
height,
seat position front-back, and a shorter headstem and I ended up with
something that kept me going for 2 years. I understand some bike shops
will setup the bike for you for a fee (or you could just buy a new bike
and they'll do it for free . It took me 2 years to get to a point I
was happy with. On the weekend I bought a new bike and over an hour had
it setup. Remarkably when I got home and did some measurements the old
and new bikes were setup almost the same. Save yourself 2 years of pain
and effort and get a pro to do it.

DaveB

actually sounds like its NOT the right size for you. either that or
the seat height/handlebar reach need fiddling. welcome to the quest
that will consume the rest of your life! :-)

--
flyingdutch