Old August 11th 17, 07:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Octalink ES25 replacement?

On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 11:00:27 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
The BB on my MTB makes a ticking sound when warmed up, sounds similar to
a hot car engine after it is turned off. It has also develoved an ever
so slight play, just a few mils. It is an Shimano ES25 Octalink.

How long do you guys let that go before replacing?

Can anyone recommend a better quality BB for this that lasts longer than
5k miles and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-BB-5....c100506.m3226

Cost three times what the ES25 does and I've never had one fail.