Old August 11th 17, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Octalink ES25 replacement?

On 2017-08-11 12:39, AMuzi wrote:
On 8/11/2017 1:00 PM, Joerg wrote:
The BB on my MTB makes a ticking sound when warmed up,
sounds similar to a hot car engine after it is turned off.
It has also develoved an ever so slight play, just a few
mils. It is an Shimano ES25 Octalink.

How long do you guys let that go before replacing?

Can anyone recommend a better quality BB for this that lasts
longer than 5k miles and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Ensure the arms are not loose on the spindle first.

They are on tight. The play is also a bit sideways. If I keep riding
will it just become gradually worse or can it fail catastrophically in
the middle of nowhere?

On my last Shimano 600 BB I rode until it had about 0.1" play in the
largest chain ring and shifting trim became iffy (old friction shifter
bike). But that was an ajustable BB where I could milk out a second life
by mounting the cranks 180 degrees rotated.

What I don't like on these newfangled BBs is the left side plastic cup.
For the road bike I got a UN-55, only aluminum on the left but at least
not plastic.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/