Old August 12th 17, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Octalink ES25 replacement?

On 2017-08-11 11:48,
wrote:
On Friday, August 11, 2017 at 11:00:27 AM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
The BB on my MTB makes a ticking sound when warmed up, sounds
similar to a hot car engine after it is turned off. It has also
develoved an ever so slight play, just a few mils. It is an
Shimano ES25 Octalink.

How long do you guys let that go before replacing?

Can anyone recommend a better quality BB for this that lasts
longer than 5k miles and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shimano-BB-5....c100506.m3226

Cost three times what the ES25 does and I've never had one fail.

$40 is perfectly ok. Unfortunately their available spindle lengths
do not fit the ES25. ES300 has very close to the same spindle
lengths, I just don't know whether they are any better than ES25.

I believe that the widest available in the ES-25 is 121. The 5500 is
available in a 118 and it's my guess that it would fit right on.

I might be able to live with a 3mm chain line offset (have to check the
M591 front derailer though) but the other issue is that they supposedly
only fit older Shimano crank sets because of the 9mm splines:

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp...or=1&minor= 6

The cranks have to go on super-snug because I am a low cadence masher
and often ride with a substantial load on the bike.

Since this is a road bike BB it's likely that half of the difference is on the left side.