Old March 28th 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

Default REI Safari or Surly Long haul Trucker?

On Mar 27, 8:36 pm, "patrick mitchel" wrote:
"Woland99" wrote in message

... On Mar 27, 10:30 am, wrote:
snip
PLus I had Novarra Viaggio - I guess
you can call it earlier version of Safari and I was VERY unhappy
with that B-shaped handlebar.

I just put some "trekking" bars on a bridgestone xo-3 and have been more
than satisfied with them. What's was the aspect that you found
unsatisfactory in them- the more upright ride they afford?
Interested....Pat

I really cannot answer this question in a way that would be
unbiased. My problem with these type of handlebars on Novarra
Viaggio was probably affected to a great degree with fact that
I bought the bike without proper sizing and I could never find
configuration that was comfortable for a longer ride. I used
to commute on it (10-11miles one way) and I constantly had
problems with numbness in my hands. I do not think that there
was enough variety in hand positions to prevent it.
By comparison now I have Novarra Randonee with regular drop
bars and stem that can be raised up so you top bar position
is VERY relaxed. And I have zero problems with my hands.
On that Viaggio I eventually replaced handlebar with MTB style
one and put in steeper stem and made it sortta comfort bike.