Old October 15th 18, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default Changing of the season

Today is washday, and my weight-lifting gloves are in the second load.
From last week until April or May I'll wear the plastic bicycle gloves
that fit under fuzzy gloves, and I like things to be clean when I put
them away for the winter.

The cotton backs of the gloves have faded to gray, but they still
bleed like a stuck pig -- presumably from the black leather. So I've
got a very small load consisting of black socks, one pair of black
gloves, and one pair of dark-brown grubbies.

I wonder whether "grubbies" for clothing worn for dirty work is
dialect or idiolect? Definitely not very common -- it's not in my
spelling checker.

I must not be taking my writing seriously. I don't even know where
the very cheap quick-reference dictionary I used to keep beside the
keyboard is. Now and again, I wanted to use a word that I wasn't sure
all my readers would understand, so I'd look it up in that small book,
and if I didn't find it, I'd define it on first reference.

# asterism #

Gloves hanging in the laundry room -- I hope that I remember to put
them away before spring! I also washed my sheer linen scarf and put
it away -- I'll wear fuzzy cotton-linen until silk-scarf-with-a-wool-
liner season. We skipped over medium-weight linen season, and it
hasn't been more than two weeks since I put away the white linen
do-rag.

In addition to laundry, I managed to finish cutting out twenty-eight
parts for a sewing project -- almost. I had marked the last few
pieces with a dying pen, and hadn't noticed. One piece -- I *think*
it's *one* piece -- is so faint that I couldn't see to touch it up, so
I've set it aside until I see what's missing.

Lovely evening out there -- I may go for a walk after supper.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

---