Old April 19th 17, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B Slocomb

Default Selecting An Appropriate Bolt

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 16:32:48 -0400, wrote:

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 18:56:17 +0700, John B Slocomb
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 00:08:14 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 18 Apr 2017 10:29:32 +0700, John B Slocomb
wrote:

If you want to talk length then yes. A bolt should be long enough that
one complete thread will be extend past the nut. but there is not
maximum length, un less, or course it hits the other side of the
automobile.

This is not true with AN hardware.AN hardware is spec'd by it's
diameter and grip length -and there is a stringent spec as to how much
thread must/may extend beyond the nut. You NEVER have threads within
the "grip"

Something must have changed with those AN people after the twenty
years I spent fixing their airplanes because the "one thread past the
nut" rule was certainly followed then. I've personally seen an Air
Force Inspector turn down an installation because the bolt didn't
protrude past the nut. (Which is likely why I remember it :-)

You didn't read my whole post Slocumb.

I was responding to the " but there is not
maximum length, un less, or course it hits the other side of the
automobile.

AN bolts need to be the EXACT length required. No more than 2 washers
allowes to adjust the protrusion of the thread through the nut.

If it doesn't protrude OR protrudes too much it fails. (at least here
in Canada)

As I said, for 20 years I fixed my uncles airplanes and I can assure
you that AN nuts and bolts weren't quite as exact as you seem to think
that they are. Certainly one was supposed to not use more than one
washer under the head and the nut but there was no restriction about
how much stuck out of the nut, as long as it was at least one thread.

You are imagining some perfect place where everything is wonderful
when in reality it is 23:30 and a B-52 with two Nukes aboard that
either gets off the ground by 24:00 or it misses its rendezvous and
the aircraft to be relieved won't have sufficient fuel to get home and
another tanker will have to be launched....