Old November 12th 18, 08:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Replacing a used front rim

On 2018-10-17 11:04, Ned Mantei wrote:

[...]

And then comes truing the wheel so that it's round, centered between the
hub locknuts, and the spokes have more or less even tension. I have no
routine with this, and even with a truing stand, a dish tool to check
for centering, and a tensiometer, it takes me about 3 hours to get the
wheel close enough. People who do this often probably need less than
half an hour. It helps if you have a good sense of pitch, so that you
can judge relative tension by the tone you hear when plucking a spoke.

A laptop with microphone and a spectrum analyzer display software or a
musical instrument tuning software can help those of us who, like
myself, have next to nothing in musical hearing abilities.

Such software is often free and the built-in microphone can suffice
which would make the investment $0.

This is how I tuned our piano which my wife used to play.

The problem with this approach is that unless you are radial spoking, the
plucked spoke excites the resonant modes in the spokes that it crosses, and
you get a mishmash of resonances, only one of which you are affecting by
tightening/loosening the spokes. Theoretically it's a piece of cake, but
practically it's quite difficult.

That can happen if the microphone is too far away. I had good luck with
this method when re-dishing my rear wheel after having to switch from a
6-speed UG freehub to 7-speed HG. To pluck a spoke hard enough I used a
wood stick with a notch cut into a side at its tip, then pulling it.

[...]

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/