Old October 31st 06, 05:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
acl

Default 1 foot wheel walk. need tips

I think my furthest is about 40 metres, at which point my leg starts to
get tired, and I'd suggest

- start from a wall; transitioning from one-foot-on-frame idling
isn't difficult once you've got the hang of it. (This seems the
reverse of 2ft ww, where starting from idling was helpful).
- go at a decent speed. not so fast you're trying to kick the wheel
forwards as fast as you can before you fall off the front, but I
reckon I go at least as fast as when I 2ft ww. At first I was trying
to balance going really slowly, with the wheel basically not moving
when I was moving my foot back, and didn't get anywhere (that's way
harder, have seen it done tho), but when I started going faster
(dragging your foot back along the tyre a bit) it suddenly got a lot
easier.
- I'd imagine a freestyle tyre (I've got a Primo Wall) will be easier
than a muni tyre 'coz it'll be easier to twist and steer sideways.
- Flat is easiest. Slightly downhill might be ok but I've not found a
gradient shallow enough that I'm not gonna be gliding down it, and
that's a different story...

Think I'm basically agreeing with others here . What I would say is
that it's all about the *momentum* of the wheel - this is the biggest
difference vs 2ft ww (which is just about moving your feet in the
reverse direction to pedalling, and balancing using your arms). A 20"
wheel may not have much compared to a coker (?!) but it still has quite
a significant amount.

--
acl
acl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12048