Old September 11th 18, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Bus racks

On 9/11/2018 12:25 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 22:37:31 -0400, Frank Krygowski

On 2018-09-10 13:26, jbeattie wrote:

You have to pick up a bike to put it in a pick-up truck, unless you
have a ramp, and then you have to pick up the ramp.

Ramps are easy. That is exactly one of the tools one uses when there are
lower back issues.

OK, show us, please. One of my very good friends is a lady even more
elderly than I am. She's an avid cyclist despite significant health
issues. She's thought hard about getting an ebike, but says its weight
would make it impractical for her to get it into the bed of her pickup.
Her tailgate is something like three feet above the ground. How should
she push a heavy bike up a ramp and into the bed? Where would she stand
to do this? How would she keep the bike balanced on the ramp - and would
she be able to do that as she climbed up into the bed to roll the bike
all the way into the bed?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it seems tricky at best. Got a video
or photos of how you do it?

What you do is lean a plank on the pickup bed and ride up. And of
course back down when you get where you are going :-)

And before anyone says it is impossible I have done it (once). I rode
a 74 cu.in. Harley up a 12 inch plank to load it into a furniture van
to haul it, and me, from Valdosta, Georgia to Hendersonville N.
Carolina and when we got there I rode it back down.

I'm sure it's possible. But there certainly have been failures:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRvuuCzckJU

But I'm sure my friend won't try it with a 60 pound ebike. I imagine it
wouldn't have the torque to do a 40% incline slowly, and a fast running
start would be very scary for her. Even walking alongside the bike on a
wide ramp would be difficult. The best I can imagine now would be a wide
ramp that's smooth where the bike rolls up, but with steps where the
owner does the pushing.

I am curious how Joerg does it in real life. (If Joerg has a real life!)

--
- Frank Krygowski