Old September 24th 18, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Interbike 2018 Report

On 2018-09-21 08:47, sms wrote:
Headed up there yesterday, for the day. It's now in Reno, so from the
Bay Area it's easier to drive than fly. The show has shrunk considerably
from its heyday. But they had a bike that would probably be
Jorge-Approved, and a light that might be Frank-Approved, though those
are very high bars. Grant Peterson had several Jay-compatible models on
display in the Rivendell booth, but he didn't have an aluminum model
with a carbon-fiber fork, and disc brakes.

Rather than post the report here, I put it up on Google Docs, including
photos.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wAiw__UK7KkYw1CO2lbSIdy14p0LXdH8RpnVqneDv5k

Thanks. The growler bike looks classic but I don't plan on using E-bikes
until I am 85 or so.

Is the bottom left picture on page 1 depicting a whiskey flask? The kind
that John Wayne would throw his horse riding buddy before a gun fight?
That would make a bike ride quite interesting. "No free beer" is ok as
long as they sell good microbrew at reasonable prices. Though the show
would probably not be too interesting for me because all this stuff
trends too much in the direction of E-bikes. I prefer muscle power.

As for the "ultimate new edible" I have yet to see any bike-specific
fare that I wouldn't want to spit out into the sand. I even gave up on
regular nut bars except for rides under 20mi. Too much sugar. Over 20mi
I carry home-baked bread with generous layers of cheese and sausage. The
real bread, of course, with the starter dough made from beer
fermentation residue (trub), bread dough kneaded using an electric power
drill and baked outdoors over manzanita fire.

For electrolyte I use simple Emergen-C powder. $10 makes dozens of
bottles. Since it tastes a bit medicinal we add freshly squished lemon
juice. Which is a byproduct in our household because my wife makes her
own Limoncello and the peeled lemons are sort of left over. Nothing goes
to waste here.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/