Old April 7th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Standing + Big Gears Always = Knee Problems?

David L. Johnson wrote:
On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 15:23:31 -0700, jonisaacs wrote:

Disclaimer: I think cycling should be fun and enjoyable at every
moment. Never let training ruin a good ride...

Amen.

I tried something today in regards to this thread, riding in top gear
only and sprinting from a stop until out of leg power, then coasting
down again, numerous times. These were all standing sprints to see if I
could duplicate the sore knee problem since I am also in the over the
hill group at 57. All I managed to do was get winded a little more each
time and now I have a residual bit of sore leg muscles but no knee
aches. It might be of some note that I don't clip in and ride with
sneakers so I can hike when I want, so could it be a matter of pedal
choices and foot angles? This was the first day without rain in 'Sunny'
California for about a week, hence this test ride. The stand and sprint
still just reminds me of running uphill, even when pulling up on the bars.
?????
Is it just me?
Bill