Old September 8th 19, 06:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Problems with upper gears

On 9/8/2019 10:35 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/7/2019 3:00 PM, AK wrote:
I recently had my rear derailleur replaced along with new shifters on
a 18 speed mountain bike.

Shifting in the lower gears is smooth and there is no noise when
pedaling.

I can shift smoothly into all gears however, there is a "clicking"
sound when I am in the upper gears.

The bike tech who did the work said he could not find a seven speed
shifter and installed an eight speed shifter and told me he would make
adjustments so it would work.

I have been told this.

"It is a problem, but can be fixed by also replacing the freewheel,
but I definitely wouldn't be paying for any service from a tech who
didn't know this would be a problem."

https://imgur.com/a/xF73i91

https://imgur.com/a/5VB6gat

The 8 shifter is compatible.
Common problems include cable/casing/ferrule issues and rear changer
misalignment.

Right. I had a similar shifting problem with one of my wife's bikes, and
corrected it easily by fixing a mis-clamped shifter cable (following
Andrew's advice).

--
- Frank Krygowski