Old September 10th 19, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Presta valve in a rim that was drilled for Schrader?

On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 16:42:12 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-09-09 15:36, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 07:24:22 -0700, Joerg

On 2019-09-08 23:21, Chalo wrote:
Joerg wrote:

Just received a new rear wheel. Despite being 700c and for narrow
tires the rim is drilled for a Schrader valve. Couldn't believe it.
Harumph, grumble. Why on earth ... well, it is what it is.

I can't imagine what your objection could be, given that Presta
valves are inferior in every single possible way to Schraeder valves,
except for their diameter. Count your blessings and use a better,
less fault-prone tube.

It confounds me to come up with a rational explanation for why the
recent crop of big wide rims (including fatbike rims) are mostly
drilled for Presta valves.

It's most likely because of standardization. Many small portable pumps
cannot or can only with difficulty be converted to Schrader.

Doesn't matter to me because I never had a valve failure with either
Schrader or Presta. Rummaging around and cleaning the garage in a few
spare minutes yesterday I would a mushroom-shaped furniture panel
connector made from hollow aluminum. Should be easy to make a nice
adapter plug from that and rivet it into the hole. I just have to find a
suitable glue to hold it in place. The E6000 I ordered for another
purpose (shoe repair) is still more than a week off.

Other than holding the adapter in place when changing a tire there is
no need to glue it in place as the valve stem will hold it in place
quite satisfactorily.

That's the main reason, not losing it when changing a tire. It's so easy
to forget about that little thing and then I may have to make a new one.

I might be able to widen the outside a bit with a punch which would also
hold it in place. Sort of a poor man's riveting job.

That is more or less what I did. I swedged a flare on one end of a
short piece of aluminum tubing stuck it in the hole and flared the
outer end just a bit.

Given the comparative amounts of time that the tire is inflated and
being changed it seems like overkill now :-)
--
cheers,

John B.