Old September 11th 19, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Yet another cyclist killed. pH (Several, actually)

On 9/11/2019 6:28 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, 11 September 2019 12:43:27 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/11/2019 12:46 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Wednesday, 11 September 2019 00:01:43 UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 09:05:29 -0700 (PDT), pH wrote:

I wonder if there's a market for a "Google Glass" type of thing
w/ a back-facing camera displayed on a forward screen full time.
Hmm.

pH in Aptos

Rear view bicycle cameras already exist:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+rear+view+camera&tbm=isch
You might also consider an automotive dashboard camera, which usually
has a rear view camera included.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

A good rear-view camera can really help if this happens. Frank will say the bicyclist should have been lane center but I don't think that would have helped in this case.

youtube.com/watch?v=QYMKp71vW-I

I think the guy was riding in the worst possible position. It looks like
there are four feet of paved shoulder outside the rumble strips. Absent
piles of shoulder debris, why not ride there?

If that shoulder were not present, yes, I would have been toward lane
center. Given the speed limit on the road, I'd probably have paid
attention to my mirror. But in my considerable experience, motorists
would have seen me and slowed down or changed lanes. I've never had to
leave the road to avoid a crash from behind.

Incidentally, that lane does look wide. If a motorist didn't change
lanes (perhaps because the inside lane was occupied), when he slowed I'd
probably move toward the fog line. If he's proven he sees me and is
adjusting to my presence, I show that cooperation when feasible. (If the
lane were too narrow to share I'd stay centered.)

All of this works. It's what I do, and I seem to be the guy here who
complains the least about close passes, crashes, etc.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank, did you watch the video? The driver never even slowed down thus showing that they most likely could not see the bicyclist. I've read that the driver had a hand up as if trying to shield from sun glare. thus the driver would not have seen the bicyclists even had the bicyclist been in the center of the lane. Notice that the other lanes were devoid of traffic when she hit the bicyclist? If the driver could not see ahead of them then the driver should have slowed down a lot.

I watched the video. My answer was based on that. I said he was riding
in the worst possible position. The shoulder looks clear, and I would
have been there.

About the sun: In the video, the telltale sign of a low sun hazard was
not apparent. That sign is your shadow stretching out _long_ toward the
driver. It indicates that the sun is low in the sky and aligned with
your position. I've advised my club mates that if that's the case, stay
off that road until it's safe. If I saw that danger when riding there, I
would have adjusted, perhaps by waiting 20 minutes before proceeding.

Sometimes I don't understand your logic, Sir. I'm saying he was riding
in the worst possible position. Are you claiming he was doing everything
right? Really? Despite your evidence?

--
- Frank Krygowski