Old July 1st 09, 02:42 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Opus[_2_]

Default Mountain Biking is Being presented as a Healthy Sport for Kids!

On Jul 1, 2:54 am, Mike Vandeman wrote:

You do know that is a parody of a motivational poster, right?

Of course, but the broken collarbone is real.

But there's nothing to say where that broken collarbone came from. My
elder daughter (the one getting married this weekend) broke her
collarbone on a swing set at her elementary school when she was in 5th
grade. Should we then remove all swing sets from all schools because
one had a structural failure and caused my daughter a painful injury?
No, that would be stupid. The leading cause of death for humans under
21 is motor vehicle wrecks, should we ban motor vehicles because of
that? No, there are many more reasons to ban motor vehicles than just
killing people under the age of 21, but we still have them.

Bicycles are good exercise, and MTB gets people away from the primary
cause of death when riding, the motor vehicle. Quit trying to get them
banned and instead work on something much worse, motor vehicles. Motor
vehicles are like a war zone in the middle of the transportation grid,
and more people are killed by them than are killed in all the armed
conflicts world-wide every year. The US has been averaging 41,000
deaths by motor vehicle wrecks alone every year since 1999. In 2007
(latest year for which statistics are available) just shy of 700
people were killed riding bicycles, and of that number less than a
dozen were wrecks without the involvement of at least one motor
vehicle. Very few bicycle on bicycle or single vehicle bicycle wrecks
are fatal.

I'll give you another number, bullet wounds average less than a 10%
fatality rate. Depending on speed motor vehicles kill at a rate of 20%
at 20 MPH to 99.999% at 60 MPH. In plain terms, cars are more fatal
than guns, even when someone is trying to kill someone else with the
gun. Even when someone gets hit by a gun shot, unless the bullet is
precisely placed it has a very low likelihood of causing death or even
permanent injury, but getting hit by a car at 30 MPH has a 85% chance
of death, a 10% chance of permanent injury, or 5% of recovery from
injury without permanent effects. The truck that hit me was doing
about 65 MPH...