Old July 3rd 09, 05:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Opus[_2_]

Default Mountain Biking is Being presented as a Healthy Sport for Kids!

On Jul 2, 6:55 pm, runcyclexcski wrote:
Depending on speed motor vehicles kill at a rate of 20%
at 20 MPH to 99.999% at 60 MPH.

Source? I know at least 4 people who got into an accident at ~60 mph
and all walked away w/o a scratch. at 99.999 probability the chance of
me seeing this even would be 0.0001 power 4 which is very unlikely.

NHTSA wrecks against pedestrians and pedacyclists, injuries and
fatalities broken down by speed at impact. It was available as a PDF
but the URL doesn't work any more. The fatality rate at lower speeds
has a lot of noise because of the variability of the wrecks and the
victims, but above 20 MPH the noise goes away. I don't know anyone
that can "walk away" from being hit with a car or truck at 60 MPH
without a car surrounding them. I was lucky to get away with all my
limbs still attached and only minor brain damage.

I was comparing apples to apples in fatality rates compared to
bullets. Not many people are shot while inside another bullet. A few
are shot in cars, but not enough to draw a statistical conclusion
about the event. Lots of people are hit by cars while riding bikes or
walking. So I wasn't comparing where the car hit another car with a
person inside of it but where the car actually hit the person
directly, well actually somebody else in the government did it for me.

One of the things I found fascinating was the breakdown of fatality by
caliber and style of bullet, the most fatal round was the .22 Long
Rifle hollow point, followed distantly by the .44 Magnum. Apparently
the .22 allowed precise placement of the bullet to do the most damage,
and the .44 left such a big hole that blood loss was the major fatal
mode. Motor vehicles major fatal mode was massive blunt force trauma
to the torso, followed by head injury.