Old June 7th 14, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

Default How many cogs of each can you should you use?

Frank Krygowski writes:

On 6/7/2014 11:46 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:

True. At the end of this month we plan to cross the Alpes.

For that I mounted a 10 speed 12-30 cassette on my triple equipped bike.
Since this is at the edge of my medium caged RD I test rode it first
yesterday in the Dutch 'mountains'. I had to ride 110 km to get 1650
meters elevation gain but enough steep hills to test all my gears.
On the small chainring (30T) the three smallest cogs shift very sloppy.
On the big chainring the three largest cogs tend to overshift and at
one time the the chain fell of the big cog and went on again in a bumpy
corner. In the middle ring (42T) it all went well what makes this cassette
a real nice one on the flats. I can stay in the middle ring all the time
although 42/12 doesn't sound/feel nice.

Our most extreme chain angles happen on our Bike Fridays. Because of
the 20" wheels, we normally ride on the big chainring; otherwise we'd
be putting lots of wear on the tiniest rear cogs. And those special 9
and 10 tooth rear cogs feel pretty rough, anyway.

The Moulton also has a 9 tooth cog. It kind of made sense with the
52/42 chainrings that came with the bike, but I now use a 63/52. Not
sure it was ever any faster than a bigger cog---it feels awfully lossy.

--
Joe Riel