Old September 10th 19, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Does anything dissolve paint thinner

On 9/10/2019 10:40 AM, wrote:
On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 2:51:20 PM UTC-4, AK wrote:
I use paint thinner and an old tooth brush to clean my bike chain.

Is there anything I can spray on the chain to dissolve the thinner or do I have to manually rub it off with a rag?

I am open to recommendations to anyone who actually uses one of those chain cleaners.

Thanks,
Andy

I use brake cleaner for all my degreasing needs. The spray can varieties have a pretty powerful stream which blasts into mechanical interfaces quite well, removing not only grease but also any particulates which are being held there by the sludge. It evaporates right away leaving surface devoid of any oils and water. Use in a well-ventilated area.

And it can be entertaining as well:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/fire5.jpg

--
Andrew Muzi