Old January 21st 12, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Ace

Default Getting down to 1 bike - what would you pick

On Jan 20, 6:22*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per SMS:

Besides the cost and weight, the issue is that you really still need a
front derailleur with at least two chain rings.

Not for me - and I'm about as un-fit a dedicated cyclist as there
is. * I also climb some pretty steep hills.

14 gears is plenty for me and the range is more than adequate.

But it *is* heavy..... * -)

I second the point that the range is adequate, and I live where
there are mountains and my knees aren't up for abuse.

And I agree with Chalo that it works better than derailleurs.

And there's no dish.

And it is built to last.

In my case it adds about 0.5% to the total weight
of bike+rider compared to derailleur gearing.

Tom Ace