Old January 22nd 12, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Default Getting down to 1 bike - what would you pick

Op 20-1-2012 16:21, Anton Berlin schreef:
I am one of those nuts that has 10 machines in the garage. From a
custom made Columbus Max with SR an Aquila titanium with a brand new c-
record large flange group, to several carbon frames and a collection
of disc wheels and H3s etc.

I am in the stage where I want to simplify and feel that I could get
practical and get down to one bike and be content with that.

My current idea is a titanium cyclocross style bike that uses mtb
wheels, has a long wheelbase and is set up for touring (fenders,
panniers, etc) would be the best compromise of all worlds.

I want a bike that is flexible enough to ride everyday, tour
extensively on (already have 2 cycling trips around the world and
multiple through Europe)

The open questions are rim brakes or discs ? Derailleurs or internal
gearing (rohloff or sram) ?

And the pros and cons of using s&s couplers. Thanks in advance for
your thoughts and input.

I'm not a big fan of the 'one fits all' concept. If you like different
styles of riding you make too much compromises. If someone held a gun to
my head and said that I only allowed one bike I have to think quickly:

- it should be suitable for fast road riding,
- it should have some off road capabilities,
- it should be able to carry some luggage,
- fenders would be nice,
- it should be nice to look at,
- it should be easy to maintain.

Dropbars are a must for me so a cyclecrossframe would be my choice. If
you are in touring than I a Rohloff hub is an option, but not for me. No
MTB wheels, 700c wheels for me. Mechanical disc brakes work with
brifters and gets rid of the rim wear.
Since I was very pleased with the result of my refurbishing project of
my 9 year old Ti roadbike, Ti would be my choice of frame material: no
paintjob, low maintenance and it stays like new forever:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101076538433373858645/OpknapbeurtLitespeedClassic

Hmm.... maybe a Ti version and with Campy brifters of my crossbike which
I picked up last week and fine tuned yesterday . It is ready to go:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101076538433373858645/Misc#5700494834216624434

but no way I limit myself to one bike. I would miss the montainbiking,
time trials and my low maintenance singlespeed winterriding.

Lou