Old September 9th 15, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default AG: Legal isn't always smart

On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 5:33:43 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/7/2015 6:31 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
NFN Smith considered Mon, 7 Sep 2015 08:41:39
-0700 the perfect time to write:

Frank Krygowski wrote:
Good post. Just one quibble:

"... if there is a solid line, a vehicle is expected to stay in that
lane, and a vehicle should not cross a solid line. That's not only a
double yellow line, but a single white line, as well."

In Ohio, the Ohio Bicycle Federation got a law passed specifically
permitting motorists to cross a solid yellow line, when safe to do so,
in order to pass a vehicle (that includes bicycle) moving less than half
the speed limit.

It's a good law. It's what people have always done when needing to pass
a disabled vehicle creeping along the road, a mail truck stopping at
every mailbox, a horse and buggy, and a slow-moving bicycle in a lane
too narrow to share - provided the cyclist is smart enough to stay out
of the gutter.

The yellow lines are painted with the assumption that one car is trying
to pass a slightly slower one. They're unrealistically restrictive for
passing truly slow vehicles.

Good clarification. I had forgotten about scenario of temporary lane
change for overtaking, although I suspect that there's probably a
measure of variance from state to state.

And will be completely different for countries following the Vienna
conventions on road traffic (most of the world outside North America).

Can you tell us what the rules are for passing slow-moving bicycles in
those countries?
--
- Frank Krygowski

In France I didn't see people passing people other than casually. I also didn't see racers inside the city limits. That was in 2002 and things might have changed. Stress levels seem to be a LOT higher now.