Old June 30th 11, 01:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

Default Frame waxing

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 20:07:23 -0500, Tēm ShermĒn °_°
" wrote:

On 6/29/2011 7:54 PM, john B. wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 13:38:06 -0700 (PDT), thirty-six
wrote:

On Sunday, 26 June 2011 01:55:27 UTC+1, john B. wrote:

I think that you are attributing more to Moly-disulphide lubrication
then it deserves. The most common attribute I can find listed for it
is that it withstands high temperatures better then some other
additives. Certainly when I was working on airplanes, courtesy of the
U.S.A.F. it was commonly used as an anti-seize on jet engines.

Anti-seize also equates to an extreme pressure lubricant, exactly what is needed for a bicycle chain where plain bearings are started up under load every time the links come off the top of the rear sprocket and also when they lead on to the front sprocket. Hydrodynamic lubrication does not occur and boundary layer lubrication is the only consideration.

While Anti-seize equates to a high pressure lubricant for preventing
seizing, galling and high temperatures I'm not so sure about
arbitrarily saying that it is equally good for chains. I've had some
experience in that direction and to make a short answer I've found
that as a general statement the oil companies do know what they are
doing when they compound lubricants.
[...]

On Trevor's home planet, the best lubricants are plant-oil based
home-brew concoctions.

I worked for a while in a division of the Indonesian Petroleum
Institute's testing labs. Some pretty savvy chemists in those labs.

Cheers,

John B.