Old June 7th 18, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Hex Wrenches

Emanuel Berg wrote:
avid Scheidt wrote:

: I've also got assorted bits for interchangle
: bit screwdrivers, and sockets, which find
: a use on bikes once in a while.

:No kidding, perhaps more common on my bikes
:than your road bikes and MTBs. The common small
:bolt heads and nuts are almost always 9mm or

I actually meant 'sockets with a hex bit in them', like these
https://store.snapon.com/Hex-Standar...t-P630933.aspx
since we're tlking about hex wrenches. (I have the sort you're
talking about, as well as a collection of wrenches. many sorts.)

:What's the difference between the Wera Hex-Plus
:and Bondhus ball end? Bondhus is great,
bviously. I have no experience with the Wera
:range but I have walked by it countless of
:times in the accursed hardware store...

the hex plus isn't hex shaped. it has the corners cut off (it's more
complicated than taht, but that's a first approximation), so that
the force is applied away from the cornders of the fastener hex.
That's not a bad idea, it's universal in box end wrench designs. I
haven't found it to be a problem with hex socket cap screws, though.
At least when using the right bit, because there isn't enough
clearance for the tool to rotate in the hole.

--
sig 11