Old August 14th 19, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default Can not get bike to shift gears properly

Chalo wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

Plastic casing caps? Never!

Damned things cause more trouble than they cure.
We like plated brass casing caps.

Agreed. Also, I've almost succeeded in expunging thin "brake" housing
ferrules from the shop where I work. They're specified for brakes,
because long lay shift cable housing strands can push their way through
the thin soft metal. Problem is, Bowden cable coils can also push their
way through if the housing stop isn't adequately supportive.

So it's all brass "SIS" type 5mm ferrules and aluminum 4mm ferrules for me.

I’ve taken to tapping the end of the ferrule with a small hammer after
installing it on the end of the housing, to “pre-seat” the ferrule. I have
no idea whether it works, but I haven’t been mauled by a mountain lion
since I’ve done it.