Old January 14th 04, 05:56 PM
Mikefule

Default Fule face helmet - review

I have a limited amount of martial arts traing, having done Judo many
years ago. I also dance, unicycle and fence so I reckon my general
coordination and reflexes are pretty good for a 41 year old.

However, the rolling thing only works if you can dissipate the energy of
the fall by rolling, and if you can be sure that you won't roll onto
something worse. So if you fall exactly forwards, as I have done twice,
then the roll will have to be forwards, although Iwould normally tuck
one shoulder rather than doing a classic 'forward roll'.

Rolling forwards down a hill may not be the best answer, and rolling
over and hitting the next rock might be a very bad answer.

Be that as it may, the protection is there for when the technique fails,
not for when it succeeds.

My strategy for avoiding injuries is as follows, in this order:
1) Ride within my capabilities most of the time.
2) Be selective about when I push the limits - taking into account
surrounding obstacles and hazards which might exacerbate the
consequences of a fall.
3) Compensate for a temporary increase in risk by adjusting my speed
and stance as appropriate.
4) Run or roll out of a fall.
5) Rely on protection such as a helmet or wristguards.

On the occasion in question:
1) No!
2) Not well enough.
3) Not nearly well enough!
4) No realistic opportunity.
5) Wristguards DID help; a full face helmet would have helped.

I'm not a safety fascist, but I do think it's fair to share my
experience because some of you may have made a decision about what you
wear without fully appreciating the risk. I'm not a safety nerd,
either. Arnold the Aardvark (Alan) will remember our first MUni ride
together, where I wore no padding, gloves, or helmet, and wore a
sleeveless vest and tried to keep up with him.

I have now ridden a grand total of about 8 miles on a 28 with 110 mm
cranks, in the dark, in about a force 6 gusting 7, wearing the Fule face
helmet. I did not find that it introduced any new risks or hazards to
the procedure. Dehydration, I'll grant you, could be a problem in the
heat... but NOTHING makes you sweat more than a full Camelbak... except
thinking you've broken a bone and you're a long way from help.

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

Sometimes I ride like a demon, sometimes like a lemon. It's an L of a
difference.