Old May 18th 10, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default not only bicycle helmets

On Tue, 18 May 2010 11:20:27 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Early today I rented a truck to haul our cardboard (no
longer allowed in refuse, mandatory recycling). It's about 5
yards of flattened cardboard.

At the recycling depot I was told in no uncertain terms by
employee and foreman that I cannot, ever, not even just a
little bit, dump cardboard from a truck onto the big pile,
right next to all the other trucks, unless I wear a
regulation hardhat. And an orange vest.

Next visit, ask the foreman if anyone has recently sued for alleged
injuries suffered in the yard. My guess is that you'll find that
there's some manner of personal injury litigation in progress. That
usually results in everyone going on the defensive, which includes the
helmet and vest. Locally, a customer falling into the dumpster while
dumpster diving, is what precipitated similar safety rules.

I have a bright orange work shirt and matching reflective padded
jacket. Not good enough as I'm sometimes asked to wear an orange or
lime green vest over either one.

Think of the children!

That takes 9 months.

--