Old July 23rd 04, 07:48 PM
Neil Williams

Default Booking Bikes on Virgin - Easy

On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:53:53 GMT, "Richard"
wrote:

Do you not use the retaining strap?

Mr. Branson

Doesn't stop it being nicked.

The best solution for bikes these days is IMO the way fNW went about
it on their 150 and 142 refurbs, namely to provide a wide luggage rack
(taking the space of about a bay and a half of seating) with an upper
level in each coach, or maybe every other coach. This has a "top
shelf" for luggage, and a bottom bit with retaining clips for bikes
and heavy luggage. This allows two bikes per coach in full view of
their owners, plus decent luggage space.

However, VT don't have that kind of space to "waste" in the Voyager,
and as such I suspect the only reason why there's bike space at all is
that passengers are not permitted in the bit at the end of the vehicle
due to the top speed being over 100mph, so it had to be used for
something. Indeed, ISTR it's meant to be locked out and inaccessible
to passengers while in motion, though I'm yet to see one that isn't
locked open.

Neil

--
Neil Williams in Milton Keynes, UK