Old August 2nd 05, 07:06 PM
Tom Reingold

Default Latex on tubular base tape

Matt wrote:
I'm not claiming any superiority either way. Back then (~1990) I was
racing and thought I 'needed' to have tubies-that's what all the other
racers had. The first ride that I had on 'em, I must've stopped and
checked to make sure that they weren't flat at least 5 times. They just
rode smoother. The were the same width, and at the same pressure as my
clinchers. However, IIRC, I was riding some really cheap clinchers at
the time. The wheels were (and still are) definitely quite light--32h
gl-330's w/ 15/16 spokes & alloy nipples. (Don't flame me--I didn't
know any better!)

I claim no empircally demonstrable superiority either way. Maybe it was
snob appeal. Maybe there was a difference. Maybe its like "Mom's
cooking"--nostalgia has made the memories better than the facts.

Oh well...
Matt.

My memory says the same thing. They felt great. Then again, my memory
may not be accurate. When I switched to tubulars, I was also switching
to rims and tires that were MUCH lighter than what I had been using.

Tom