Old September 10th 15, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Duane[_3_]

Default AG: Legal isn't always smart

On 09/09/2015 6:31 PM, NFN Smith wrote:
Duane wrote:
But likely a 44 ton truck is not going to be able to pass me in the same
lane with 1m to spare so he will be forced to move to the other lane.
Well theoretically anyway. That's what they seem to do in places where
the 1m min is in effect. At the moment here it's up to the driver to
determine what a safe passing distance is. 1 meter minimum is better
than that, I think.

Depends on the road.

Many years ago, I got blown off the road by a passing truck. I don't
remember for sure, but it may have given 2m of clearance, but certainly
not more than that.

In this particular situation, I was on a right-hand bend, the road had
minimal paved shoulder, and a double-yellow center line. Because it was
essentially a blind curve, the truck had near-zero incentive to give me
anything more than the absolute minimum space.

For me getting blown off the road, that was partly that I was really
fatigued, and it probably wouldn't have happened, if I had been in
better condition.

The "idea" here is that the truck would have had to cross the double
yellow to pass if it couldn't pass safely. We currently don't have a
minimum passing law, only the "pass safely" provision.

There are some drivers that are not going to even think about waiting to
pass until it's safe. I'm not sure what you can do about them. Even
taking the lane, they're just going to switch lanes in a blind turn.
I've had this happen with oncoming traffic and our whole group had to go
into the brush to avoid the idiot when he moved back.

I don't see how any law will prevent this from happening. But at least
with a minimum passing law, a policeman can ticket someone in violation.
I've NEVER heard of anyone getting ticketed for passing a bike too
close here.