Old October 9th 18, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On Monday, October 8, 2018 at 7:27:47 PM UTC-5, John B. Slocomb wrote:

There is also a great danger from large birds. One really should have
an upward shining helmet lamp. I'm a bit ambivalent about snakes, my
present thoughts that one is probably safe from snake bite in a
metropolitan neighborhood.
--
Cheers

John B.

Since you brought up snakes, let me tell you a story. I was riding a 1200km brevet in eastern Colorado back in September 2006. Rode the shoulder of Hwy 36 which parallels I-80. I rode with my head down, because I'm a racer you know. I would see a spot on the shoulder a ways ahead. I'd ride up to it, and it was a coiled up rattlesnake. I would not see it was a rattlesnake until I was right beside it. Front wheel 6 inches beside it. And I would look down and think, that's a rattlesnake. And then I was ten feet up the road, thinking I'm glad it did not strike my leg as I was pedaling by it. This occurred three or four times on that ride. Pretty sure the rattlesnakes were lying on the shoulder for heat absorbing the sunshine and radiant heat from the asphalt. I was not frightened or startled because I did not know it was a rattlesnake until it was too late to even get frightened or startled. Afterwards I would think, that was a rattlesnake. Hmmm. And keep on riding.