Old May 7th 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

Default Research Opportunity for Cyclists

On May 7, 12:30*am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * John Kane writes:

On May 3, 10:14*pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Kristen writes:

Recreational Cyclists:

You are invited to participate in an online survey study investigating
cyclists=92 perceptions about sun exposure risks and the actions
cyclists take to protect themselves from the sun while riding
outdoors. The study is being conducted by Dr. C. Raymond Knee, Kristen
N. Petty, M.A., and Dr. Aaron K. Joseph. This is a preliminary study
that may lead to a series of more advanced studies once results are
observed and reported.

In order to participate, you must be at least 18 years of age. *You
must also be actively involved in recreational cycling/biking.

I smell a rat.

Lots of people endure solar exposure.
Why the specificity toward only cyclists?

As a sport or recreation it is likely to be the one that gives people
their most exposure? *How many tennis players are on the court for the
length of time a cyclist is on the cycle doing a century? Football
players wear a lot more clothes.
And perhaps one or more of the investigators are cyclists?
It does not look all that suspicious to me.

Farm labourers, roofers, et al get a heck of a lot more solar
exposure than folks engaged in recreational activities.

If these ~Doctors~ are so concerned about the risks of solar
exposure and awareness of, and practices to mitigate those
risks -- perhaps the focus of their study is misdirected, as
well as too concentrated on a single, select group.

I guess the next thing will be figuring out how to prevent
bowlers from having too many strokes.

I invite rebuttal from the Original Poster.

I'd like to see one too.

However the survey is apparantly looking at social pressure to use/
wear protective sun blocking in recreation. I get the impression,
perhaps unwarranted, that the target audience is youth who are likely
to be very fashion concious in their cycling gear and behaviour.

You'r right that lots of people get more sun but with the possible
exception of competitive sunbathers (See Gerry Trudeau's cartoon) or
surfers it's hard to think of anyone who is likely to get more expose
that relatively serious recreational cyclists and golfers (who have a
totally different type of wardrobe).