Old May 9th 11, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Brian Huntley[_2_]

Default How do you determine that a chainring is worn out?

On May 8, 1:43*am, Ralph Barone wrote:
The obvious ways (to me) a

[snip]
3) If it's so far gone that you can see the asymmetrical wear and the
"shark fin" profile, your chainring may be worn out.

I run on my "big" ring (44t) most of the time around town and even on
tour (1 week per year.) I ride a minimum of 5000km a year, though
sometimes hit 8-10,000. That said, I decided to ride 2 chains and one
set of sprockets and chainwheels on my bike until it all wore out, and
it lasted 5 years. That's on 8-speed Shimano LX gear with barcons that
were in friction mode four at least 3 of those years.

The 44t ring could have been used on a power saw when it was done! It
was actually sharp to the touch.

The cranks were still in good shape so I only replaced the one ring
(and the cassette, and both chains.) Sadly, I don' t think my current
setup will last as long, but it won't be the chainrings' fault.