Old May 9th 11, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ciera

Default How do you determine that a chainring is worn out?

On May 7, 10:43*pm, Ralph Barone wrote:
Does anyone have advice on diagnosing less obvious cases, without using
a new chain as a measuring gauge?

I'm interested in various answers to this question, too. (Doug' answer
is a good one.)

The first time I bought a ramped and pinned crankset I thought they
had sent me a defective one. It had short, medium and full length
teeth and not all teeth were symmetric like old school chainwheels.
Looked like a drunken machinist had taken a crankset and ground it
down in a fit of anger.

An obviously worn out chainring is not hard to judge, but how do you
know when things are just starting to go from good to bad?

Ciera